Problem with updating Audit List

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:10 AM

<font size="2">

CreateNewFolderWithRules function calls Directory.CreateDirectory when the directory already exists.  This proceeds without error or exception but does not update the SACL or ACL.  Instead when the directory already exists it should be calling Directory.SetAccessControl then things operate normally and updates the lists.  Sorry I converted my project to C# and dont have the code in VB but not hard to fix.

</font>

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:21 AM

Okay...now that I have figured out that this post pertains to my extended Lab 2 example....   :)

Thanks "sweetbox" for identifying this error.  I did not go back (as I should have) to see what was wrong with the code to fix the problem.  If this fixes the problem then great but...(and you knew that there was one coming didn't you?).

I ran the updated code locally on my machine at home (wrote and tested it at work initially).  Not only does the code not fix the problem BUT the code also triggers the error that I was getting in Windows 7.  It is very interesting to say the least particularly since I cannot circumvent it the same way that I did on Windows Server 2008 by creating the folder as a sub-folder in the same directory that the application is being run out of. 

It is late at night and I won't be dedicating any more time to this issue right now (still working through the 12.3 stuff) but I will come back to it in the next day or two and correct the problem.  I will also make sure to post the solution with an explaination since I have more questions now than I had before.

As an aside....you are running as an "administrator" on your machine aren't you?  On my home computer I am running using the default XP "computer administrator" profile.  I would think that it has all the permissions I associate with an "administrator" but I am starting to wonder about these canned accounts that come with the Microsoft O/Ss......

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Correct currently I dont have access to Windows 7 or Windows 2008.

I updated the code to log all exceptions.  Could you post the output from the log file in the group so we can see the error.  Log file is output to %TEMP%\<application_name>_<date>.log

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM

I will post it later when I am working on it again.  Currently I am finishing Chapter 12 part 3.